Thursday, June 16, 2016

Day 11: How do YOU Chew?

(June 12th, 2016)

I laughed so hard today that I started crying. 

I was explaining to hubby how, when I pretend to chew and move my jaw around, it doesn't do what it used to anymore. My teeth all fit together (I can feel all of my molars touching) but it doesn't feel like I can pulverize my food in the same way. Before, I would chew up-down but mostly grind left-right. Or at least that's what I remember. Whereas, now, I can pretty much only chomp up-down. The side to side motion seems to have diminished. Anyway, I tell the husband this and he goes, "You used to chew like a cow? Cuz people don't chew that way." WHAT? I've been chewing wrong my whole life? I mean, I know that I had trouble with fibers (think old spinach and tough meat) - I would sometimes have to either swallow a chunk of fibers or sneakily spit it into my napkin. But I was chewing it like a COW?!? That's ridiculous. It seemed efficient enough to me. (But what did I know?) When I can chew again, I'm gonna test this out on the most fibrous meal possible. So, like, skirt steak on top of non-baby spinach with a side of beef jerky?

Omg, I just realized - that's why I only buy baby spinach! Wow.

Not Ready for the Movies Yet

I really wanted to see the new X-Men movie this weekend, but every time we leave the house for a test run I get super tired. Today, we went to Ralph's (yup, that's my big outing) and on the way out I felt like I was gonna fall asleep. By the time we got home I was SOOO tired I just sat there for a few hours. (Haha, that's actually normal now. Me just sitting on my ass.) But I just sat - no playing on my phone or iPad. That's how tired I was!

Doctor's Visit Tomorrow

I was really excited for my first visit last week, but this time not so much. I think I'm a little nervous that he's gonna put rubber bands in my mouth. That's what he said, "maybe next week." But my bite feels pretty good, so we'll see.

My face today:


jaw surgery day 11
Look at the upper lip in the neck picture. It's so puffy!

For comparison, here are my ortho photos from before the surgery. It's literally not possible for my face to be thinner than it was before (since I'm still swollen and I barely lost any weight) but my chin looks pointier now. ?!? No way. Camera trick? And now I can see the swelling around my jawline - look how defined it was in those profile pics!

OLD pics from right before surgery.


Pain: 3.5/10

Numbness: Same. Gums totally numb. Chin area very stiff/tingly.

Discomfort: The inside of my cheeks still hurt. Otherwise just slightly achy and tired.

Weight: -3 lbs

(Black items stayed the same as the last post. RED items changed slightly.) 

Jaw surgery day 11, done. 

~m

No comments:

Post a Comment