Thursday, June 9, 2016

Day 2: Hubby's Birthday!

(June 3rd, 2016)

What kind of wife gets jaw surgery two days before her husband's 40th birthday? A jerky one. Sorry, babe.

But he was so very sweet. My parents came to visit and they felt like they were no help because he was just so amazing.

So today I stopped taking the hydrocodone and just took liquid ibuprofen instead. Surprisingly, pain was holding steady at around 3.5/10. (The nurses were really confused by my decimal points every time I described my pain to them. They'd be like, "Why 7.5? So is that a 7? 8?" But I really felt like my pain level was that number exactly! I gotta be accurate, okay?) I'm really surprised that, after my horrendous night at the hospital, I'm able to get by on ibuprofen on Day 2. What the hell. I amaze me.

The day consisted of lots of icing with the Jaw Bra (20 minutes on, 20 minutes off - you can't ice it the whole time, guys!), random TV that I couldn't really focus on, re-reading jaw surgery blogs, and re-watching jaw surgery vlogs. Here's what I looked like...


jaw surgery day 2
I like how the swelling makes
my nose crooked.


On the bright side, I felt super proud of myself because I secretly planned my husband's bday dinner already with all his friends and his brother came over and took him out for a few hours. (Patting myself on back.) And, while he was gone, I was able to open my Sephora box, wrap his present, and write him a card. That's a lot of activity for a jaw surgery victim! He was pretty surprised, but I wish I found something better for him than a manly daily peel to keep him looking young. Hahaha. "Happy birthday! You're getting old, so here's this thing to keep you looking young. Love you!"

A note regarding your meds - it's easier to combine ALL of your meds into one syringe. (Maybe add some milk in there to mellow the flavors. Then chase it with more milk. As you can tell, I like milk.) You need to eat something with the meds, anyway. And they all taste different kinds of terrible, so you might as well mix them all up and get it over with. There are some people out there who don't have liquid meds, and that is INSANE. The only thing I'm taking as a non-liquid is my multivitamin - I made sure to buy chewable ones, so hubby crushes them with our mortar and pestle and it gets mixed into my drug concoction. What am I taking, btw? Ibuprofen for pain, antibiotics to prevent infections, and steroids for swelling and healing. Rx's that I filled but don't take: hydrocodone (I don't want to be high all day, plus it makes you nauseous and constipated) and an anti-nausea (no narcotic, so no nausea).

Oh, I found this while hubby was at his bday dinner. Isn't he the cutest?


It's a little checklist! This is actually really helpful. 

Pain: Varies between 3-5/10.

Numbness: Same as before. Again, my chin is a little bit tingly, but I can feel it. 

Discomfort: I'm tired and I can't focus on things for very long. 

Jaw surgery day 2, done.

~m

No comments:

Post a Comment